Sunday, September 30, 2012

Welcome to Chi-NOLA! Why am I moving again?

"You don't know shit from Shinola" was a common phrase that I used to hear when I was coming of age. It's a colloquialism which usually means that one isn't too bright, that a person may not hold basic intelligence or common sense. I never knew what the heck Shinola was until I was grown, and I'm still trying to figure out if all "fat meat" really is "greasy", but one thing I do know is that this Chi-town woman is making one of the biggest moves of her life to New Orleans tomorrow. 

This blog will be used to tell the story of my migration towards a place of healing, peace, and self care. Do I expect Utopia in southern living? Nope. However, sometimes a person has to navigate away from what is most comfortable, in order to get to where you need to be. As a Black woman, who has struggled through a very unequal/ imbalanced existence all of her life, I now feel as if I need a place to heal - and dealing with lifelong trauma is no easy feat. However, the few times that I have visited New Orleans, my friends and the people have provided that sacred space for me to get respite. And, of course, I've always felt as if it were my natural home. So away I go!

Who knows, maybe I will come up with a few catch phrases of my own to relay this experience in its entirety. What I know is that every new day offers another opportunity for me to re-imagine myself. As I write I have decided that all of my stuff, my 30 something years of life, must fit into three boxes and a rickety old cedar chest, which is relatively easy seeing as my partner and children will be staying behind in Chicago. They have graciously given me a year to "get it all together", so everyday I will wake up and do just that. One day at a time.

I know that my family and friends love and support me. All my life I've known Chicago, now let's see how well I can get to know New Orleans. I may not know shit from Shinola but I do know faith and spirit and they have carried me thus far. I'll allow the creator to shine out the rest.

Ase!
Keesha

3 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading about your adventure. You are a brave woman of my heart as I would love to just GO and relocate to an unknown place and find my serenity, peace and center balance again. It is not a far off venture just a little misplaced for now as I want to do things with balance and wisdom. I will miss you but at the same time I will be happy for you as well. (((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too look forward to reading your blog ...,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to tell you all about it! I'm looking forward to my stay in New Orleans.

      Delete